For those interested in the evolution of sugar industry policy, the Sustainable Sugar Forum being held in central London on 16-17 June 2015 will provide much food for thought.
The event is designed to foster exchange and debate among sugar cane and beet stakeholders on issues including:
- Human rights, labour issues such as child and forced labour, and preventing land grabbing
- Smallholder farmer development, securing livelihoods, financing, improving productivity and yield
- Water management, building water-stress resilience in vulnerable climates, and reducing water use
- Environmental protection, soil structure conservation and promoting biodiversity
- Climate change, technology developments, climate-smart farming
- Responsible sourcing strategy, implementing effective programmes to source 100% sustainable sugar, traceability and transparency
Organisations currently confirmed to participate include AB Sugar, Illovo Sugar, Tesco, Tereos, Mars, Czarnikow, SAB Miller, Nordzucker, Heineken, Mondelez, PepsiCo, ED&F Man, Ferrero, and Tate & Lyle. Further information on the speakers and registration can be found here
Thanks to Innovation Forum for informing us about the event and good luck in stimulating meaningful dialogue.